'cause every body needs a strategy
Frijoles Negros (Cuban Black Beans)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 15- to 16-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 3/4 cup canned vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and oregano and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of beans to pan. Using back of fork or a pestle, mash beans coarsely ( I like to do this in the can). Add remaining beans, broth and vinegar and simmer until mixture thickens and flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Season beans to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- You can also add to slow cooker on low and allow to reduce all day.